Wednesday, March 16, 2011

On the Road...

After my wife finished a half marathon last year I became obligated to run a 5k race with her. I had told her that I would run a 5k of her choice if she finished, as an added incentive to finish. Running has never been an activity that I have especially enjoyed. Like I have told my wife (maybe some you have heard me say this as well), "Give me a ball and I can run forever". I obviously can't run "forever", but I feel that I have performed fairly well when playing a sport such as basketball or football. However, I did say that I would run a 5k with her and I try to be a man of my word so we will be running the 5k of her choice in June--the Dirty Dash at Soldier Hollow. So we begin with a mud run 5k.

To add to my obligatory 5k I have decided to participate in a triathlon. For the past few years I have gone back and forth about whether or not I wanted to compete in a triathlon. I had the great opportunity to work with another chiropractor in a gym that specialized in triathlon training. The owner has run, I believe, a couple Ironman races. I had the opportunity to volunteer at the Utah Half Ironman a few years ago. It was a lot of fun and there were a lot of people who appeared to be in good shape. I recently took a look at my personal fitness and though I do not think I am in BAD shape, I definitely could be in better shape. Playing basketball once or twice a week has not quite been keeping in the shape I think I should be in. After looking at a few websites that list a multitude of triathlons in the state I have finally decided on an event. It is a Sprint length triathlon in Provo--the Aqua Triathlon at Seven Peaks. Since I don't like running, I thought that this particular event would be best for me--The run is the first section followed by bike and finished with the swim. The event isn't until September so I will have time to do a little training and improve my overall fitness level.
I know that triathlons aren't for everyone, but I would suggest that everyone find something that will improve their fitness level this year even if it is something small. Small steps forward are still steps forward. They also have a much better chance of getting you somewhere than standing still or sitting on a couch. Don't just watch sports, BE the sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment